Prolonged Fasting

Everything else and off-topic posts.
Ye Admin
Site Admin

Re: Prolonged Fasting

Post by Ye Admin » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:28 am

After that last post I actually started GAINING weight because I was disappointed and wasn't trying as hard. I got up to 207. So I fasted for a day and went back to keto and days later, this morning, much to my surprise, I'm down to 201.

My goal is 165. I have 36 pounds left to go.

The big problem I have is that I can't sleep without Lunesta, and every night after I take it, I have intense hunger that won't let me sleep unless I have a bagel with cream cheese. Then I fall right asleep. The bagel, though, is 41 grams of carbs so by not going to bed fasted I miss out on the best part of weight loss.

The final 35 pounds are going to be the greatest challenge.

Ye Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ye Admin » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:51 am

aeon wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:58 pm

Calories count the same on keto. It is just that fat is more satisfying and most people naturally ate less. Also protein is only converted to fat with some difficulty, you lose about 30% of its calories in conversion and for tissue repair.
That's the big mystery for me. The way I understand it, by becoming "fat adapted" we create more mitochondria that knows how to metabolise fat, and in the process, the body starts burning fat as fuel when it can't find dietary fat.

I'm hoping this isn't pseudoscience but my doctor seems to believe it's true. I've lost 81 pounds doing whatever it is that I'm doing and I hope I can lose those final 36. What holds me back the most is addiction to Atkins protein shakes and the fact that Lunesta causes me to eat carbs to sleep.

I became fat-adapted on or around June 13, 2018 and my energy levels were through the roof. My life had changed. This all was lost on July 13th after I had some gluten-free pizza. I thought I'd just burn it and get back to business. Wrong. I haven't been fat-adapted since, I don't think. I never have any energy and never felt like I did that month. And further efforts to get back to that point have all failed.

I seem to also have lost significant muscle mass.

aeon

Post by aeon » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:37 pm

Fat Adaption is more of a fantasy. The truth is most people can't function well in keto over time because they are fast oxidizers which means their metabolism requires more carbs for energy and to maintain their muscle mass. Insulin is necessary to retain muscle also. It is not just sugar insulin pushes into the cells but amino acids as well.

If you eat too much fat you will never burn body fat. It is that simple. Mitochondria are not magic.

Your experience of having energy at first and then becoming tired is the normal experience of many. Going back on your keto diet burned off your glycogen stores so you lost all that water weight. Which is usually around 5-7 lbs total.

My suggestion is to go on the 100 gram carb diet and avoid keto. You may retain some water through storing some glycogen but that is what supplies the energy you need. You should still lose 1.5 to 2 lbs of fat per week.

Just curious: on Lunesta if you ate only cheddar cheese and chicken with no carbs - you would still be hungry?

This would seem to indicate Lunesta drops blood sugar.

Found this on www.drugs.com:

"My answer to your question about Lunesta & weight gain is that No lunesta itself doesn't cause weight gain but the side effects/behaviors do. Lunesta side effects include "Sleep Eating". Sleep eating is when a person on lunesta gets out of bed & goes to the kitchen, prepares food then eats it & some times much more then you'd usually eat at 1 sitting.

"You may not even be aware your doing this in the middle of the night after taking lunesta. To other ppl you may even appear awake & carry on a conversation as you eat that Gallon of ice cream & loaf of bread covered in twizzlers. This is a very real issue & there is a huge community of ppl who suffer from this behavior.

"It is usually due to taking it and not going straight to bed. It works differently than most sleep medications. It WILL put you to sleep but only, and I stress this, only if you are in bed, lights out, ready to sleep.

"Don't take it and then stay up doing things thinking you will wait till you get sleepy to go to bed. It is a hypnotic, which means you will just sort of pass into another realm of awakeness whereby you will do things you don't even remember, such as eat, cook, have conversations, etc.

Atkins protein shakes seem to use sucralose. Sucralose is poison and is every bit as bad as aspartame. Sucralose is a chlorinated carbon and literally attacks your organ systems. One symptom is severe dryness of tongue and eyes or scaly skin.

Ye Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ye Admin » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:58 pm

But as far as I know, the glycogen stores are only 500g.

I'm not sure I can handle 100g of carbs at this point, I really dislike the taste now. Except for bagels with cream cheese, which seems to send me straight to sleep after Lunesta.

I've had many experiments with Lunesta and protein and fat, no carbs, and it backfires. My understanding is that a high fat meal interferes with the Lunesta. The end result is sleeplessness, followed by a second dose of Lunesta, followed by eating carbs to go to sleep.

I've found that the only way I can sleep without those carbs after Lunesta is if I fast all day long. This explains why I was able to do 3 day fasts so often and still sleep. And I did have one teaspoon of nutritional yeast every day during those fasts, which helped me with sleep.

I've used sucralose for a long time during this process. At one point Siim Land addressed this in his videos and said it was bad so I switched to alcohol-free liquid stevia. But after a month the dog somehow used the bottle as a chew toy and I haven't bought a replacement. Good thing it wasn't xylitol or my Golden would be lost.

Lately I've been brave enough to start adding HWC (Heavy Whipping Cream) to my coffee again. I just can't see the harm at this point. One thing I've thought of doing is going off diet for a week and allowing about 10 pounds back on and starting over just like I did in May. Maybe then I'd lose the weight at the speed I did in the beginning again. I sure miss the energy I had that month. I was so happy, like never before in my adult life.

aeon

Post by aeon » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:24 pm

https://www.leanhigh.com/glycogen-weight-loss

"How much water weight will you lose if you get rid of all glycogen?

A pound or two of glycogen isn't the only weight you'll lose if you get rid of all glycogen in your body.

Science has discovered that each gram of glycogen will also bind 3-4 times as much water weight to itself.

In other words, if you get rid of all glycogen in your body, you will also lose all the water weight that's bound to that stored glycogen.

So let's see how much total weight we're looking at here.
How much total weight will you lose if you get rid of all glycogen?

The best case scenario goes like this:

Your body is holding on to 2 pounds (1 kilogram) of glycogen and that glycogen binds another 8 pounds (4 kilograms) of water weight to it.

So, if you get rid of all glycogen in your body (I'll show you how in a bit), you could be losing as much as 10 pounds (5 kilograms) of glycogen-bound weight.

But on average, you can expect to lose 7 pounds (3.5 kilograms) of weight if you totally wipe out the glycogen reserves in your body."

Yes, keto tends to be 20-50 carb grams. Low carb tends to be in the 50-150 range.

I always drop 7 pounds in water weight when fasting. Which I gain back in 48 hours after resuming eating. When you burn off the 500 grams of glycogen you also lose some salt which helps you lose more water.
Last edited by aeon on Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ye Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ye Admin » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:33 pm

This just came out, coincidentally.