The Powers of Matthew Star

Everything else and off-topic posts.
Ye Admin
Site Admin

The Powers of Matthew Star

Post by Ye Admin » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:16 pm

The Powers of Matthew Star was a painful show to watch when it came out and it's hard to endure now. The issue was that its Star lacked charisma. Peter Barton won the role over Tom Cruise and I think that's a bad thing because had Cruise been in this, his career would likely be over and he'd be a much lower-ranked Mindhead member. But then, the show would have been even harder to watch. And I actually remember enjoying Mr. Merlin, so I was easy to please back in the day.

Thanks to Youtube, here's the episode with Mr. Bennu himself, Judson Scott. At this point in his career he had already been in THE PHOENIX a year earlier, so I'm not surprised he gave this character a different spin.

One of the reasons, in my opinion, why this show is remembered, is the title. Like JASON OF THE STAR COMMAND, it has a memorable sound to it.

A MATTHEW STAR fan edited faux trailer in 2017 from some shows I've never seen was more successful in entertaining than the entire season of the real thing.

The plot was later recycled into some silliness called I AM NUMBER FOUR, a number two by Michael Bay.

aeon

Re: The Powers of Matthew Star

Post by aeon » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:03 am

I thought this was really a remake of Matthew Star because the hero is an alien King on the run with powers.

aeon

Post by aeon » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:48 pm

A remake of Wonder Woman The Mind Stealers. http://www.wonderland-site.com/html/ser ... -10-00.htm

Detection device works over 400 miles.

Ye Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ye Admin » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:30 pm

That Korean remake is funny and Ed Wood-ish.

Unbelievably, I ended up buying the DVD set for THE POWERS OF MATTHEW STAR. I still don't like the show and find parts of it unendurable. But at least I can see it with some quality now and will be watching from the beginning. It includes the unaired pilot.

So here's a screencap that shows much higher image quality.
vlcsnap-2019-04-29-15h14m06s383.png
vlcsnap-2019-04-29-15h14m06s383.png (275.38 KiB) Viewed 4288 times

Ye Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ye Admin » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:03 pm

For those who can't bypass the Anti-adblocker overlay:
Dec. 12, 1981
Actor Peter Barton of television's 'Code Red' series was...

LOS ANGELES -- Actor Peter Barton of television's 'Code Red' series was released from the hospital Saturday, a month after being seriously burned in a freak accident on the set.

Barton was burned Nov. 12 when he fell on a phosphorous flare during filming of a scene with Louis Gossett Jr.

Barton received third-degree burns over a small portion of his body. Gosset was burned on his hands and neck but was not hospitalized.

The scene called for Barton to walk backward while pulling a chair to which Gossett was tied. Barton stumbled and fell on the burning flare, which set his clothes on fire.

A spokesman for Sherman Oaks Community Hospital's burn ward said the actor required three skin grafts and plastic surgery but has 'healed beautifully.' There was no word on when Barton would return to the ABC series.
It's weird that I bought a DVD for a show that I don't like, but I do like some of the production design. And it's from my favourite time period: Pre-Crisis.