Prolonged Fasting

Everything else and off-topic posts.
Ye Admin
Site Admin

Re: Prolonged Fasting

Post by Ye Admin » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Weighed in at 229.7 this morning. It's pretty amazing, been years since I've been in the 220's. Actually that's where I was in this video:

So my plan was to do a series of 3-day fasts, refeeding with plenty of nutrients in between. And because of this I wasn't going to eat today. But I got a jar of Collagen Peptides yesterday and I need to try it. Also, I made an interesting discovery: there seems to be no difference between keto and 3-day fasting when it comes to weight loss! I consumed a ton of calories yesterday and was sure I wouldn't have lost any weight by this morning, but as I mentioned, I went down another pound in spite of having aimed for 2300 calories.

Going to try this again today. The keto sticks are saying I'm in "Large" ketosis. So the 3 day fast was good for something after all.

Ye Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ye Admin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:23 pm

So the following day I woke up at 227. Oddly, the morning after, I weighed 229.7 again. Woke up to 228.8 today. I think it might be the Woosh Effect starting up. Have been eating straight keto for 3 days. Tomorrow I start fasting again.

I decided to keep using this thread to track my progress, figured I might as well. Also got that knee MRI last Friday!

Ye Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ye Admin » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:32 pm

I can now say that prolonged fasting does NOT give me any advantage over regular keto. I broke my fast yesterday and went into carnivore diet and immediately started losing weight again! Today I weighed 225.5!

So I'm not likely to keep doing those 72 hour fasts.

aeon

Post by aeon » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:28 pm

I am not surprised. Fasting makes the body think it is starving so the first thing it does is lower the metabolism. It is like being hypo thyroid. Sometimes you even get cold. Atkins said it takes fat to burn fat. The amino acids from protein boost the metabolism (tyrosine increases adrenals and thyroxine, and the increase in fat calories alert the body to boost metabolism since it's not starving.

They say after 14 days straight the brain can run on 50% ketones. The body burns ketones better over time to the point there is less spilling into urine but you are actually even deeper in ketosis.

Ye Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ye Admin » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:20 pm

I'm going high fat tomorrow after reading your post. I've been full carnivore the last three days I think. Today for OMAD I had half a pound of salmon and 6 eggs. Main issue is I fill up very quickly.

I'll even skip Intermittent Fasting. I'll have Bulletproof coffee with MCT and Coconut Oil, followed by bone broth with turmeric and nutritional yeast. Then steak and eggs for lunch and Macadamia nuts and keto ice cream for dinner. All to test if my energy levels come back up.

aeon

Post by aeon » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:50 pm

Intermittent Fasting is counter productive in ketosis. Fasting lowers insulin but ketosis is already doing that even better thru low carb. This is from the original Atkins 1972 Diet Revolution book.

Don’t skip meals!

The most important part of reaching your weight loss goals? Eating! Eating throughout the day will help keep you full and reduce the risk of overeating or choosing unhealthy foods. Aim for either three regular-sized meals a day or four to five smaller meals. Do not skip meals or go more than six waking hours without eating.

Fats are your friend

Consuming fat is essential to slimming down on Atkins. Fat also heightens the flavor of foods and enables your body to absorb certain vitamins.

Power up on protein at every meal

Protein plays a key role in weight loss and protects lean muscle mass, so you lose only fat. During Induction, aim for at least three 4-6 ounce servings of protein each day in the form of poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs, and red meat.

aeon

Post by aeon » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:37 pm

I understand the reaction against excess calcium. For osteoporosis calcium and dairy is useless but an excitotoxin? That is overreacting. People need to take a vitamin D 2000 units a day even if getting sun. Some people on statins or a high vegetable oil diet can't even reach the vitamin D requirement in the sunlight even with an hour a day!

People need vitamin A 5000 units - not beta carotene - with their vitamin D. You need 350 mgs of magnesium a day for hard bones. The calcium flooding cells and killing them is caused by manufactured free glutamate (MSG) not by whole food. Vitamin C prevents osteoporosis by strengthening collagen layers.

Bone Density DEXA scans are for the most part a scam. Women going into menopause do not get real osteopenia low bone mass. The child birth potential going away causes body to shed excess bone mass its normal. Putting people on bisphosphonates, such as Fosamax increases fracture risk even of the thigh bone, not surprising since it is literally anti-scale pipe cleaner. It melts cells by phosphoric acid.

Ye Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ye Admin » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:34 pm

August was one of the most stressful months I've ever been through. I survived it all and I'm currently at 210 Lbs! 45 pounds to go.

Strangest part of the weight loss is getting told my dieting is "stupid" by people struggling for months to lose 5 pounds.

Ye Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ye Admin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:39 pm

Stalled at 202 for weeks now. It's interesting that this is all I seem to think about.

I watched a documentary on Marlon Brando where he tried self-hypnosis to lose weight. He had very complex metaphysical beliefs, it seems.

aeon

Post by aeon » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:58 pm

https://www.ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-wei ... -plateaus/

In the first Atkins's book he thought calories didn't matter with carbs restricted and that excess calories would be removed as ketone bodies in breath and urine. Turned out not to be true. There is little to no loss of weight by excreting ketones and the longer you stay in ketosis the more efficient the body becomes in using them for energy.

Calories count the same on keto. It is just that fat is more satisfying and most people naturally ate less. Also protein is only converted to fat with some difficulty, you lose about 30% of its calories in conversion and for tissue repair.

Weight loss plateaus can be normal as the body is adjusting hormones, bone remodeling, and electrolytes.

Bottom line there are only 2 main reasons if it continues to persist. Excess carbs that have sneaked by uncounted and excess calories.

Atkins found some interesting carb sources. 1) a zero carb food can have up to 0.5 carb per serving.

Some people using a lot of breath mints like Tic Tacs, made of 94.5% sugar, were getting enough carbs to drop out of keto. Some had to drop to 20 grams of carbohydrate to continue losing.